Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Conflict of Interest

The death of Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia has left a major political battle in it's wake, the appointment of his successor. According to the Constitution, the President appoints Supreme Court Judges and congress approves them. However, in this, the last years of Obama's administration, the Republicans have said that they will do whatever they can to block his appointment, this could potentially mean violating the Constitution, however, apparently there is no set time upon which they have to approve a successor. This had had led to a major "conflict of interest" in  the government.

For myself, this is also a "conflict of interest." On one hand I want them to follow the  Constitution as it is written, as it is the source of our rights and the foundation of our government. It provides checks and balances in the government to prevent any one organization or person from taking to much power. But I also have no faith or trust that President Obama will place a judge who is Constitutional, and merits the appointment. His last few seemed to be based more on race and gender than anything else, and the same goes for his appointments to other government positions. I almost support what the Republicans are doing in the interest of the Constitution, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

 I'm no supporter of the Republican party, however I do tend to vote their way because they field more candidates that have a grasp on reality. I can only hope that Obama's appointment is thought out carefully and with care, and Congress does what it can, Constitutionally, to make sure that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment